Kilimanjaro Trek : What Does It Take?
Adventurous people enjoy trying new things and visiting new places, and they rarely stay in one place and are constantly on the lookout for new experiences. And if you are one of them, then this article about Mt. Kilimanjaro is for you. It is known as the “roof of Africa“. Plus, it is amongst the seven highest summits globally; thus, it attracts a lot of trekkers to conquer the peak.
It is in Tanzania. The highest peak in Africa is 5,895 meters. Yes, exceptionally sumptuous, but also risky. Mt. Kilimanjaro trek is one of the most daunting treks; it is a dormant volcano with three cones. Hike through lower alpine moorland to Shira to camp and gaze out at Kibo Peak. Explore from Lava Tower to Barranco Camp. Charm in the breathtaking panorama of Western Breach and the Breach Wall. Climb up the eastern wall, passing beneath the Helm Glacier, to see the Great Barranco Wall. Hike to the summit through the night via Stella Point. Before directing down to Mweka Camp, catch the dawn. Continue down the forested, more despicable slopes to Moshi. For a climbing commemoration, connect with the mamas of the Moshi Women’s Cooperative, a G-supported project.
Best time to go
Two good times are: January to March or June to October
From January to March, you will see the snow, and if you like that, this is the time to go. It will be relatively cold so don’t forget to choose your clothing likewise.
June to October it’s summertime, and this is most likely the time chosen by most trekkers, and the routes are crowded.
You have to decide a trek route, and every path will cost differently, but here is a lump-sum amount you will spend. It includes accommodation, meals, transport, and other miscellaneous costs such as the staff wages, camping and trekking equipment, and so on.
Accommodation: Entry fees will cost around $200 per person for the base camp or a national park.
Meals: Per day, the cost will go upto $20 to $25.
Transportation: Approximately $110 depends on the route one chooses.
The total cost of the whole trek should be a decent $350 to $400.
Note that this calculation is exclusive of the flight cost, miscellaneous expenditure.
We are keeping all these serene places in mind; we have curated this unique Mt Kilimanjaro trek plan for you guys. So, it won’t be difficult for you to plan your trek.
The Kilimanjaro tour across the mighty mountain is an eight-day hike through the world’s highest mountain encompassing natural beauty.
- On the first day of the Kilimanjaro trek, you will reach Moshi, where you will prepare for the tour.
- On the second day, you will reach Machame camp, also termed the whiskey route. It is one of the most popular routes because of its natural beauty, where one gets to walk through the mountain’s forested slopes. You reach Shira to camp.
- On the third day, by hiking through alpine moorland, you reach Shira cathedral, from where you can see the spectacular view of the majestic Kibo peak.
- You start hiking from Shira camp to Barranco camp on the fourth day through the majestic lava tower. To reach the lava tower, you have to walk through rugged terrain at 15,092 feet above sea level. And now you descend from lava tower to Barranco valley at an altitude of 2133 feet above sea level. On the way, you get to enjoy the panoramic view of the beach wall and western beach. Once you reach the destination of Barranco camp, you soak into the view of Kibo massif and hanging glaciers.
- On the fifth day to barafu camp and enjoy the scenic view of the Barranco wall from the campsite, you hike the eastern wall. The trail is a steady incline passing below the helm glacier and reaching to mweka route. Once you get to the camp, you can take a rest and enjoy the beauty of nature.
- On the sixth day, you will hike down to mweka camp after enjoying Stella Point’s sunrise.
- On the seventh day after leaving the barafu camp, you will hike the northwest screen, hiking through the rugged terrain passing between Rebmann and Ratzel glacier. After trekking through snow-clad trails for an hour from Stella point, you reach Uhuru Peak at an altitude of 19341 feet above sea level. Soak yourself in the stunning view and celebrate.
- Take rest and on the eighth day then depart for your country.
Please have a look at our guide on Wondrous Travelling. Try to keep all necessary items with you. Don’t burden yourself with the weight you wouldn’t want to carry. Make sure you have enough experience to complete this trek. Most importantly, don’t forget to hydrate yourself. Double-check the trek guide and route you will be choosing. There are various animals that you will spot, like spotted leopards, cheetah. It has a National park of its own. Make sure you take around. After learning all about making your Kilimanjaro trek possible, make sure to pack all travel essentials.
Best Booking Resources
If you’re looking for flights, quite often your search will end at booking.com.
booking.com – The site features more 1,400,000+ properties in 226 countries. You can find it really easy to search between multiple property types since they have so much inventory.
tripadvisor.com– Without a doubt is the one best travel site that can be used to plan a trip. There’s no better resource trying to get reviews of hotels, restaurants, and attractions. There’s also the Tripadvisor forum where you can ask specific questions where a local expert will usually be able to provide you an answer.